Over 70 speakers from 13 countries will come together to make it magical at the 11th Bookaroo Children’s Literature Festival this year (Dec 1-2). This is one fest where the kids get to ignite their creative minds and unleash their imaginations. There are multiple sessions on storytelling, book launches, craft activities, art and illustration workshops, environment-related workshops & much more.
Why you shouldn’t miss it?
We literally can’t think of a reason why you should not! Apart from the amazing family-bonding time that we all crave for, this fest is a treasure chest of activities for the kids:
- Storytelling: Performers from – New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, South Korea, the Czech Republic and seven other countries narrate stories in the most enchanting manner. You can also enjoy, Qissebaazi, the unique art of bringing regional stories using a bridge language. This year the focus is on Sanskrit and Malayalam.
- Pre-history: Kids can witness colourful dinosaurs and real fossils on display during sessions along with enjoying dinosaur poems and dances.
- Sessions and activities related to the environment – reduce, recycle and reuse. This will sensitise them towards the glaring issues.
- Fun activities: Toy-making, creating life out of trash, guessing games, Czech puppets, comic characters, masked animals, playing with words and images to make tales, creating wacky animal walls and more.
- Real-life stories: Tansen, the musical genius; the life of Amrita Shergil, Krishnadeva Raya and his empire building; inspiring personalities from sports, art, music, history and science, a powerful story that is set in the backdrop of the Gonds’ struggle for their land.
- Book launches: Maneka Gandhi’s book for children, and curtain raiser on Roopa Pai’s book on the Upanishads.
- BookArt: An exhibition of original artwork from children’s books by three award-winning children’s books illustrators – supported by Parag, an initiative of Tata Trusts.
… and there’s so much more! Check their schedule to plan ahead.
What: Bookaroo Children’s Literature Festival
When: December 1-2, 2018
Where: Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts
Timings: 10.30am – 5.30pm
Entry: Free, Gate no 2 on Rajendra Prasad Road
Nearest Metro station: Central Secratariat
Gyaan: Bookaroo Children’s Literature Festival is organised by Delhi-based Bookaroo Trust, marking its 11th edition this year. Starting with the capital in 2008, the festival now is a big hit in nine cities including Srinagar, Jaipur, Bengaluru, Pune, Goa, Kolkata, Kuching, Ahmedabad and Kolkata.
Photos: ©Bookaroo Children’s Literature Fest